During the Middle Ages was a land of Mammoli constant battles between the cities of Lucca and Pisa, and in that time, were born villages, abbeys, castles and fortresses, some of which were later transformed into dwellings.
Most of the architectural heritage of the Lucca hills undoubtedly belongs to that era.
The rural villages stood on the hillsides, made up of modest houses built around a church, many of these villages have remained roughly the same time.
From 700, with the rebirth of Tuscany land, sharecropping became the main agricultural system Mammoli: go back to that period most of the houses and farm accommodation that still exist today.
The ancient castle, built in medieval times on a site Etruscan and Roman, demolished in 1300 already was considered impregnable, in fact, up to date there was no trace of it before the complete restructuring carried out around the 1990 buildings on the cake by Giorgio Panelli below the church of Mammoli where they unearthed the remains of the fortified castle of Mammoli.
Had its peak in the high Middle Ages and especially religious military power.
Castle was anciently called by the people of St. Genesius St. Ginese or for devotion to St. Ginese composed of a nucleus and a fortified monastery, but his original name was Mammoli, was the residence of the Roman consul Mammoli.
The presence of this castle was found by Father Poggi in three scrolls of the eleventh century, in which not only is called Castrum castellum or more, but you are told that there was such a castle surrounded by walls and ditches.
The parchment is 1 st of 1072 as the parchment of 2 ° 3 ° in 1075 and 1078 of the parchment is about a donation of part of the Castle of the Curia Mammoli by Dean Lambert had to bequeath as a legacy from his family and is In this case, the monastery of Mammoli who was divorced from fortified below.
In fact, far above the Castle Mammoli (the fortified settlement) is the Church of Mammoli (monastery) also owned by the Curia and at that time dedicated to S. Ginese.
The retreat began as a fortress impregnable, able to withstand a siege, and accommodate up to 50 people inside, thanks to facilities such as the church, the stables, located just beyond the guard, and the well - a water tank capable to recover from the fortress across much of the rainwater, now become a pool.
There are numerous improvements that have, in turn, changes the appearance of the fortress, the Family Panelli plans to attend the panels, becoming more engaged in their role of architectural recovery of these artifacts.
In 2011, they are completely finished all restoration work related to the walkways that connect with other facilities in the same ownership.